Sustainable House Day
COOLmob has received a grant from the City of Darwin Council to become a community partner and run Sustainable House Day (SHD) virtually on Sunday 20 September 2020. This year will be the ninth year COOLmob have run this event in Greater Darwin.
For more than 20 years, the national event run by Renew, Sustainable House Day, has provided a great opportunity for hundreds of thousands of people to visit some of Australia’s leading green homes – ones that are not only environmentally friendly, but cheaper to run and more comfortable to live in.
Join us online on Sunday 20 September to watch 7 virtual tours in Greater Darwin, among over 150 others around Australia. AND to tune into national 40-minute webinars with homeowners & experts to ask questions and get more unbiased advice on what has and hasn't worked when creating comfortable and sustainable tropical living situations.
Participating Darwin homes & gardens
- Award-winning off-grid Wavertree House, Darwin River
- Recycled, shipping container home, Leanyer
- The Greenhouse, Alawa
- Open plan rental with edible garden, Rapid Creek
- The Mulch Pit, Frillies and co-op cafe, Nightcliff
- Lakeside Drive Community Garden
- Raised outdoor-living abode, Nightcliff
How to tune in?Register on the Sustainable House Day website to watch virtual tours from all over Australia and to tune into the fabulous online program on Sunday 20 September. Watch the Rapid Creek Rental and the Raised outdoor-living abode videos on our Youtube Channel on the day.
Throughout the day three virtual rooms will host 30 different 40-minute sessions delving into topics including:
- Building and Retrofitting in a Tropical Climate
- Building with Hemp
- Creating Carbon Neutral and Carbon Positive Housing
- Downsizing your footprint, upgrading your lifestyle
- Retrofitting your Existing Home
- Cool Homes for the Tropics
- Windows are not just for Looking Through: Learn about Placement, Type and Glazing Options
- Sustainability on a Budget
- Owner-building? Hear from those who have been there before
We're also currently organising some informal pub-style talks / workshops around SHD themes for Oct / Nov in Darwin, including a visit in person to the Wavertree House! Stay tuned via our Facebook and emails.
COOLmob thanks City of Darwin for the small grant which enables us to participate in this national event.
Check out the booklet featuring open homes and other information from COOLmob's SHD 2018.